The John A. Sproul Fellowship provides modest support for a scholar with interests in Canada who wishes to spend a period of time at Berkeley. One or more Fellows will be selected, with an award up to a maximum of $4,000 U.S. (amount depending on length of stay). This is intended as a supplement to other support the scholar may have.
The Program is proud to support this fellowship in honor of the late John A. Sproul. Mr. Sproul, a retired executive with Pacific Gas Transmission, was warmly regarded throughout the Berkeley campus for his tireless efforts on behalf of the university. We feel particularly grateful for his long-standing support of the Canadian Studies Program, and for his efforts as Director emeritus of the Canadian Studies Advisory Board and former co-Chair of the Campaign for Canadian Studies.
In accordance with UC Berkeley VSPA (Visiting Scholar and PostDoc Affairs) guidelines, Sproul Fellows must possess a Ph.D. or its equivalent. Equivalence can be established through degrees earned at foreign universities, or through personal or professional experience that provides a basis for pursuing the type of research and writing expected of someone holding the PhD. degree.
Sproul Fellows for the 2018-2019 Academic Year have already been selected. This year's Sproul Fellows will be announced soon.
The Canadian Studies Program invites applications for the John A. Sproul Fellowship for academic year 2019-2020. One or more Fellows will be selected, with an award up to a maximum of $4,000 U.S. (amount depending on length of stay). This is intended as a supplement to other support the scholar may have. Most Sproul Fellows recently have been Visiting Scholars, either with Canadian Studies or with another unit on campus. The Fellow will be expected to attend Program activities and to give at least one presentation on a Canadian topic while in residence.
Applicants should use the form below to submit their application no later than MAY 8, 2019:
- A brief (approximately 2 page) letter of interest, indicating why a stay at Berkeley would be useful and what research is planned for the residency.
- A brief indication of how the Sproul funds will supplement other sources of support.
- A current CV, including email address and citizenship.
- A letter from your home institution indicating approval for your proposed stay at Berkeley.
- If applicable, a copy of the invitation letter from a co-hosting UC Berkeley department or unit. (Canadian Studies can be your sole hosting unit).
Canadian Studies Program
University of California at Berkeley
213 Moses Hall # 2308
Berkeley CA 94720-2308